昨天有人谈到花滑小陈,今天看到耶鲁报道,小陈的目标似乎不是医生,而是医学相关的科学研究。大学gap两年,生活多彩多姿。

来源: TYTOU 2024-05-15 12:28:41 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (13210 bytes)

https://news.yale.edu/2024/05/14/pursuing-passions-new-and-old

Pursuing passions, new and old

Nathan Chen won gold at the Beijing Olympics — and then returned to Yale as a data science major with an appreciation for college traditions.
Nathan Chen

Nathan Chen (Photo by Dan Renzetti)

Nathan Chen always knew his Yale career would be split in two: when he arrived in the fall of 2018, the figure skater already had the 2022 Winter Olympics in his sights, and would need to take time off to prepare and compete.

While on campus, the demands of training meant that his days were packed, with classes in the morning and rink time in the afternoon. And even as he carried a full course load, he embarked on a remarkable competitive winning streak, earning a world title, two U.S. titles, and first place in two Grand Prix Finals and four individual Grand Prix events during his freshman and sophomore year.

During two years of leave, he continued to dominate the sport, all the way to the Beijing Olympics. There, in February 2022, Chen won gold in men’s singles figure skating, with a record-setting short program and an electric free skate, during which he completed five clean quad jumps.

Three people standing in a lobby with a sign that reads "Mammoth Bioscience"
Chen with his sister Janice (left), co-founder of Mammoth Biosciences, and Jennifer Kwan.

The months after his win were a whirlwind. He visited talk shows (Jimmy Fallon, who he taught to land an axle, was a highlight) and traveled with his teammates, touring Japan and the U.S. with Stars on Ice. Yet when he returned to Yale in the fall of 2022, it was with a renewed sense of excitement at becoming a student again.

A statistics and data science major, he immersed himself in his studies — while still making time for some of the experiences he’d missed the first time around. He chose to live on campus in his residential college, Jonathan Edwards (JE), and found a sense of belonging there.

I didn’t really know that many people coming back, so it was really helpful to have that community and a group of people I could rely on and fall back on,” Chen said. “They were very JE people — so they brought me to intramural sports, Wet Monday [the college’s annual water fight], things that were integral to the JE experience. Previously I hadn’t done that, so that was quite nice.”

He also found new areas of inspiration in his academic life, particularly with Jennifer Kwan, an assistant professor of medicine at Yale School of Medicine and a physician-scientist whose research focuses on cardio-oncology. The work in Kwan’s lab brought Chen “a blossoming interest and passion outside of skating,” he said. 

Their work leverages genetics and other -omics data which fortunately aligns with my data science background,” he said. “I’m learning a lot of new skills and exploring the world of medicine and health care from an angle that isn’t only sports medicine. It’s built a perspective of a career I would like to pursue in the future.” 

To that end, after graduation he plans to start a year-long post-baccalaureate program in Baltimore to fulfill his pre-med requirements.

A group of men wearing ice skates on an ice rink
Chen (far left) with fellow cast members at The Ice, a touring ice show in Japan.

While he’s relished his time as a student, Chen is still an Olympic champion — and, with typical focus, he’s made the most of his raised public profile. In the past two years, he’s performed again with Stars on Ice, written two books (one a memoir, the other a children’s book), attended the 2023 White House Lunar New Year celebration, and filmed a music video.

He also works with philanthropic organizations, including StandUP for Kids, a national non-profit program that works to end youth homelessness; Figure Skating in Harlem; and Athletes for Hope.

He doesn’t rule out competing in the 2026 Olympics — it just isn’t really on his mind right now.

But skating remains an integral part of his Yale experience. Most Tuesdays and Thursdays, he’d take the ice during free skate at Ingalls Rink (also known as “The Whale”). It remains one of his most treasured Yale spots, he said, and where he felt most himself.

Being at the Whale — being able to be on the ice, that’s a memory I’ll take with me,” Chen said. “It was a haven away from everything.”

所有跟帖: 

他是奥运冠军,名校毕业,家里也有些背景,走紫檀申医老路,那简直暴殄天物了。 -逛逛东西南北- 给 逛逛东西南北 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 12:33:00

哎,他愿意干啥就干啥,我觉得他自己觉得好就好吧 -两女宝妈- 给 两女宝妈 发送悄悄话 两女宝妈 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 12:34:30

人都不是傻的,都根据自己资源选想走的路。 -逛逛东西南北- 给 逛逛东西南北 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 12:35:00

也许到了一定程度,选择和傻没任何关系了 -两女宝妈- 给 两女宝妈 发送悄悄话 两女宝妈 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 12:36:14

人应该按照自己的爱好和天分选 -凊荷- 给 凊荷 发送悄悄话 凊荷 的博客首页 (57 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 13:23:00

读post-baccalaureate premed的目的只有一个就是进医学院 -淘娃羊爸- 给 淘娃羊爸 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 12:37:51

是不是感觉和大跃进家娃一样去NIH?小陈这种名实验室肯定抢着要呀。他妹妹还是姐姐的startup也是 -gossipgirl8- 给 gossipgirl8 发送悄悄话 gossipgirl8 的博客首页 (39 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 12:54:12

这种program就是为补齐Prereq 和备考MCAT,和科研不搭界。 -淘娃羊爸- 给 淘娃羊爸 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 13:05:34

实验室不会在乎他是奥运冠军 -凊荷- 给 凊荷 发送悄悄话 凊荷 的博客首页 (30 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 13:11:41

我想有这样的娃,有这样的娃都要笑醒了 -ashouluo2012- 给 ashouluo2012 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 13:08:15

实验室倒不太上赶着有名气的人物。我觉得最好是MD然后管理,比如内阁职位FDA,NIH,甚至surgeon general -无言无语无声- 给 无言无语无声 发送悄悄话 (150 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 13:17:26

孩子的几个同学和他有些接触,觉得人不是很聪明,在耶鲁读书可能一般吧。 -BeLe- 给 BeLe 发送悄悄话 BeLe 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 13:28:20

他花那么多时间滑冰,咋能和你娃同学比academics -凊荷- 给 凊荷 发送悄悄话 凊荷 的博客首页 (33 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 13:32:51

不知道他MCAT考了没有? -总要注册- 给 总要注册 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 13:34:20

大智若愚 -quicktrade- 给 quicktrade 发送悄悄话 (48 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 13:50:38

那不是必然的吗?体育生 -阿拉拉- 给 阿拉拉 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 13:57:24

贝勒同学,你得被砖头砸死。你和奥运冠军比数学题做的好不好? lol -gossipgirl8- 给 gossipgirl8 发送悄悄话 gossipgirl8 的博客首页 (129 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 14:44:52

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”